Saturday 1 October 2011

Books, Books, Books

I suppose this'll be a rather short entry but I felt like writing about the books I've been reading recently. Sadly, I've been trying to refrainfrom excessively reading because it completely distracts me from doing my work. I tend to keep my attention focused on my book rather than anything else, so it may be a good thing that I enjoy reading so much, my school work takes a hit.

Getting back on topic, I've been reading Julia Quinn's books almost religiously (over the summer, at least). I've never been one to read a lot of romance books (though I'm open to most genres) I've fallen in love with Julua Quinn. She's exceptionally witty and I've caught myself giggling out loud quite a few times.

I haven't read a lot of romance books to conpare, so my judgement may be completely off, but there is a plot. I suppose I'm apprehensive about starting a romance book because I keep thinking about the generic plots - then again, a romance always involves somebody or a whole slum of people falling in love. The element of love is ever-present but Ido enjoy the plots as well. Although they're a bit light, the writing style, witty dialogue, and the sophistication of the book in it's entirety was enough to win me over. Of course, I've always had a soft spot for books written in the Victorian era or earlier.

I do recommend reading the Bridgerton Series by Julia Quinn. The Bridgertons are a family of ten - the parents and eight children. Their father has long since passed and their mother cares for the children as well as their household affairs. The Bridgerton Series are books that follow each of the Bridgerton children as they go through the journey to find a mate, whether they expect to or not. My personal favourite of the series would have to be An Offer From A Gentleman which follows the story of the fateful meeting between a Sophia Beckett and Benedict Bridgerton - who happens to be the second eldest of the Bridgerton children. The story begins with a very Cinderella-esque feel, but it continues on to be its own story, with a humble but proud heroine and an eager but impulsive and slightly temperamental hero. It makes for a good read.

I'm still addicted to reading Julia Quinn's books, and so I may write about more in the future. Aside from her books, I've literally just started reading A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin, which I later found out to be adapted into a television series which I am now keen on watching. From the first few pages that I've read, it's set in the nedieval times, but its a world on its own. I'm quite excited to get through the book series (A Song of Ice and Fire).

Anyway, there'll be more to come, I'm sure.

No comments:

 
;