Sunday 6 November 2011

{NaBloPoMo #6} Nostalgia

Just a few minutes ago, I stepped away from the Twitter scene after continuously tweeting tweet after tweet, trying to keep up with the #PrimarySchoolMemories hashtag (which was/is a trending topic worldwide). This was a cause for much nostalgia as many of my friends that I've known since elementary school (I find it weird calling it "primary school" but to each his own) began to tweet about various things that happened in our elementary days. Mind you, our Grade 8 graduating class was made up of 18 people, but that only meant that everyone would inevitably remember each other and no names would be forgotten.

Albeit, some of those 18 people I've known since Grade 1, so I suppose that made it all the more special. Nonetheless, many tweets about inside stories and jokes were tweeted and it made me realize how much these people have come to affect me as a person and pretty much helped to contribute to what I am today. Maybe not by a huge percentage, but they're there somewhere. Not only that, but it's weird to think that I've known these people since those awkward tween stages and now we're all almost fully grown. That's not to say that we don't have more growing up to do, one in more ways than others, but we have come so far and it's rare for me to actually feel like I really, genuinely miss everybody.

That makes it sound like I never miss them at all, because I do. What I mean is that after digging deep into the halls of memories that have been locked away (though not completely) for some years and then sharing it through some useless social networking site was enough for me to smile sadly at the thought. True enough, I do still talk to a lot of those 18 people, and there are those that I am closest to to this day. Admittedly, there have been few instances in which we would gather - almost like a reunion of sorts, but it's never quite planned - and it would be completely awkward.

I suppose that's because our class dynamic back in the day was so different because we have all changed considerably since then. Now that these changes have taken place and have set in, the feeling's become awkward when you dump us into one place all together at the same time. Eventually, it becomes grouped off and believe me, the cliquing is much more noticeable when you only have 18 people together at the same time (give or take a few people, since there are those nameless couple of people who pretty much severed ties with everybody from our Grade 8 year).

What I do wish for is a reunion that we all want to happen and not something that happens on a whim. Hopefully this will come true during our promised Grade 12 Graduation reunion at my friend Ashley's house, which is supposed to take place in June 2012. It is definitely something to look forward to and I do hope that by then, we will all be able to share those moments in a not-so-awkward fashion and perhaps make a few new memories to keep with us all throughout life.

...and that is probably one of the cheesiest blog entries ever written, for which, I apologize.

No comments:

 
;